What information do we collect?
When you visit and engage with the CU website, we receive information from you in different ways.
- The Information Protocol address and domain name from your computer are automatically collected when you access the CU website.
- We might utilize data collection tools which collect information such as your browser type and language, access times, and the address of the website from which you arrived at the CU website.
- We utilize “cookies”, which may be installed on your Internet browser to facilitate storage and recalling certain information (please see the section on cookies below).
- In interacting with the website, such as in joining CU, making donations, registering for events and posting or responding to comments, you may provide us with personal information. The types of personal information you provide to us may include contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address; and other unique information such as user IDs and passwords and transaction and credit card information.
CU also may obtain information on individuals from third-party sources that are reputable and commercially available.
How do we use the information?
CU may use your information in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Sending communications and alerts, and conducting surveys;
- Collecting dues payments and donations;
- Responding to inquiries;
- Registering to attend events or receive communications;
- Posting comments on the website;
- Providing goods and services, including enrolling you as a CU member.
Credit card information is not used for any purpose other than payment processing and fraud prevention and will be kept only long enough to provide these services.
How do we use “cookies”?
We may install a “cookie” on the internet browser of your computer. A cookie cannot read data off of your computer hard disk or read cookie files created by other websites. We use a cookie, which is a small piece of data, to identify which areas of our website you have visited, to facilitate your future visits to the website by allowing pages you have visited to be easily accessed. You can choose whether to accept cookies by changing the settings of your Internet browser. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies, or allow your browser to show you when a cookie is being sent. Please keep in mind that if you do not accept cookies you may not be able to utilize all the features of our website.
Will we link to third-party websites?
Will we disclose your information to third parties?
CU will not sell, rent or lease your personal information to others. We do share your name, mailing address and email address with third parties that are assisting CU in its fundraising and communications efforts, and solely for the purpose of providing those fundraising and communication services to CU.
No other personal information will be shared with any third party. However, we will share your personal information to: (i) comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, or court order, or (ii) respond to authorized information requests of police and governmental authorities.
How do I unsubscribe?
If you do not want to receive communications from CU, you may:
(1) Select the email “opt out” or “unsubscribe” link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each email communication;
(2) Write to CU at the address below, or send an email to communications[email protected], providing your name, email and postal address, and if relevant, specify any particular CU communications that you no longer wish to receive.
Please note that if you opt not to receive certain communications, it may affect the services you have chosen to receive from CU.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, Citizens Union utilizes appropriate physical, technical and administrative procedures to safeguard the information we collect. Citizens Union uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive information such as credit card information.
How can you reach us?
Our mailing address is:
Citizens Union, attn: Communications
299 Broadway, New York, NY 10007
We can be reached via e-mail here, or by telephone at 212-227-0342.