Welcome to the online Citizens Union 2012 Primary Election Voters Directory. This page contains information regarding each of the 19 races that were evaluated by Citizens Union, which can be accessed through the links for each district below. Each district’s page contains:
- individual summaries of candidates who were interviewed by Citizens Union;
- the rationale for Citizens Union’s preference for a particular candidate (please note that Citizens Union issues a “Preference” for the Primary Election, and an “Endorsement” only in the General Election);
- candidates’ detailed questionnaire responses;
- links to campaign finances filings and other candidate information; and
- links to district maps.
Please also see the print version of the 2012 Primary Election Voters Directory and Citizens Union’s press release regarding our 2012 Primary Election preferences. Excerpts from the print directory are available below.
- List of Contested Races
- List of Uncontested State Legislative Incumbents in the Primary
- Candidate Evaluation Principles, Questionnaire and Grid of Responses
All questionnaires submitted to Citizens Union for contested primary elections are available; please note, however, that due to limited capacity, Citizens Union is not able to evaluate every race taking place in New York City.
Our past preference and endorsement decisions are also available.
COUNTYWIDE JUDICIAL ELECTIONS
Manhattan Democratic Primary – Surrogate Judge
NEW YORK CITY DISTRICT RACES FOR STATE LEGISLATURE
Incumbents are marked with an asterisk (*)
Bronx Democratic Primaries – Assembly
Assembly District 80 – Mark Gjonaj preferred over Adam Bermudez, Naomi Rivera* and Irene Rukaj
Assembly District 84 – Maximino Rivera preferred over Carmen E. Arroyo* and Charles Serrano
Assembly District 87 – Danny Figueroa preferred over Luis Sepulveda
Brooklyn Democratic Primary – Senate
Senate District 18 – Jason A. Otano preferred over Martin Malave Dilan
Brooklyn Democratic Primaries – Assembly
Assembly District 42 – Rodneyse Bichotte preferred over Rhoda Jacobs*
Assembly District 55 – Anthony Herbert preferred over William Boyland, Jr.*, Nathan Bradley, Roy Antoine, Christopher J. Duroshimi, Anthony Jones and David Miller
Assembly District 57 – Olanike Alabi preferred over Martine Guerrier and Walter Mosley
Assembly District 60 – No preference between Christopher Banks and Inez Barron
Manhattan Democratic Primaries – Senate
Manhattan Democratic Primaries – Assembly
Queens Democratic Primaries – Senate
Queens Republican Primary – Senate
Senate District 15 – Eric Ulrich preferred over Juan Reyes
Queens Democratic Primaries – Assembly
Queens Republican Primary – Assembly
Assembly District 40 – No preference between Sunny Hahn and Phil Gim
Citizens Union will evaluate Staten Island races in the General Election Voters Directory.
Candidates and issues
- Gotham Gazette
- The New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG)
- League of Women Voters of NYS
- Project Vote Smart